What is Black Dog Syndrome you ask? Across the country, shelter workers and rescue volunteers all agree that black dogs are often euthanized the most in shelters or adopted last in rescues. This phenomenon has been coined Black Dog Syndrome and February is Black Dog Awareness Month. Black Dog Awareness draws attention to this strange occurrence and the dogs that it subjects.
We aren’t exactly sure why black dogs are adopted last in rescues or euthanized more often in shelters. Other than color, there are no differences between the temperament and behavior of dogs based on color.
Often it is blamed on the fact that black dogs just don’t photograph well, or there are just more black dogs born than other colors. Some people believe that it is because black dogs look more menacing than lighter colored dogs. Truth is, no one knows for sure why black dogs are so often overlooked.
We at Home FurEver are here to set the record straight. Black dogs are just as amazing as any other color dog! You can check out our darker colored dogs here: http://www.homefurever.com/Adoptable_Dogs.html
TOP TEN REASONS TO ADOPT A BLACK DOG
10. Black dogs are really easy to find in the snow!
9. Dark dog hair doesn’t show up as much as lighter color dog hair
8. You don’t notice when they’re dirty
7. Black is always in fashion
6. Fancy collars look great on black dogs
5. Black dogs are better at hide and seek
4. Black doesn’t fade
3. Will be your best friend no matter what
2. A black dog will make you look 10 pounds lighter
1. It feels great to save a life!